First Steps Immediately Following a Car Accident
- Stay at the scene, but move vehicles out of traffic if possible (leaving the scene of an accident can result in serious criminal charges)
- Check drivers and passengers, getting medical attention for those who need it (be careful not to move anyone with neck or back pain)
- Call the police if there are injuries, death, or significant property damage (ask that a police report be filed when they arrive on the scene)
- Exchange information with the other motorists(s) involved, passengers, and any witnesses (names, addresses, phone numbers, driver's license numbers, license plate numbers, basic insurance information)
- Take pictures of the damage (this is particularly useful when comparing to "before" photos)
- Contact your insurance company, keeping in mind that they may deny your claim if you fail to tell the truth
- Track your medical treatment if you have sustained injuries in order to accurately estimate your costs and level of pain and suffering (where applicable)
While the consequences can be devastating and are often chaotic, Geoffrey R. Smith, Attorney at Law, can help you focus on what steps motorists and others involved in car accidents should take in order to best recover from injuries and successfully deal with the process.
Contact us online or call (440) 323-2201 to schedule a free initial consultation.